With mint, pistachio, passion fruit and chocolate crumbs
Surprise your loved ones with this BOMB of sugar and egg whites, topped with surprisingly sour and fresh ingredients makes this the perfect sin. And hey, did we mention this is gluten-free? :D
For the base
- 8 egg whites
- 500 g caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 300 ml double cream or
- 250 ml creme fraiche
- Juice of 1–2 limes
- 2 passion fruits
- 5 apricots, sliced
- Dark chocolate, crumbled
- A handful of pistachios, crushed
- Mint leaves
Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and draw a rough 25cm diameter circle on it — use a round baking form or a pan as a measurement.
- Whisk the egg whites until peaks form, then whisk in the sugar, a tablespoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Sprinkle the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract over the egg whites, and fold in lightly with a metal spoon. Mound the meringue on to the baking parchment within the circle and flatten the top and smooth the sides.
- Put in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 120C. Cook for an hour. Then turn off the oven and leave to cool completely. Once it’s cool, take the meringue disc out – and you can keep it in an airtight container for a couple of days or freeze for a month.
- When you are ready to assemble the pavlova, invert the cooled meringue disc on to a large plate or a stand you can serve it on, and peel off the baking paper.
- Whip the cream until thickened but still soft, then mix it with creme fraiche and pile on to the meringue.
- Cut the passionfruit in half, and scoop out the seeds into a bowl. Wash and cut the apricots. Crack the chocolate and pistachio and peel off some leaves of mint.
- Decorate the pavlova with your toppings and give this beautiful cake to a person you ❤ Oh, and remember to tag @eatgrim or #eatgrim on Instagram!
Recipe by Nigella Lawson