Asian Green Stir Fry
Very simple — ready in 15 minutes — sideProducing a wholesome green vegetable on the plate day in and day out is an obligation that most home cooks take pretty seriously. It is not easy, especially if you are getting bored of your standard super-market selection of evergreens. Enter Asian greens. Asian greens are a godsend, a real spring tonic, and adults and children alike will gobble them up. The seasonings Asian greens are most at home with ingredients that come from the same part of the world. They aren’t particularly exotic these days, but why mess with perfection? Just make sure you get a pretty standard repertoire of Asian staples in your kitchen and the rest will come by itself. Oyster sauce? Check. Soy sauce? Hoisin sauce? Check, check. Dried red chiles, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger? Check. Dried shiitake mushrooms? Sichuan peppercorns? Rice wine vinegar? Sriracha sauce? Go get it! Having a few of them in your cupboard will expand your repertoire of greens preparations exponentially. Here a few tricks and tips for prepping your Asian ever-greens:
- In general, about 0,7kg of Asian greens will serve four people.
- When buying a green that has florets, such as gai lan (aka Chinese red kale), choose a bunch with more buds than open flowers.
- Halve any thicker stems lengthwise.
- As with all greens, trim tough ends and remove any bruised or wilted leaves before rinsing well (to get rid of grit).
- If stir-frying, dry rinsed greens thoroughly before cooking; otherwise, the wok’s temperature will drop and the vegetables will steam instead of stir-fry in the excess moisture.
- Heat a wok (not nonstick and preferably cast-iron) over high heat until very hot.
- Swirl in a little peanut or vegetable oil and aromatic seasonings, such as finely chopped garlic or shallots and thin matchsticks of fresh ginger.
- Cook those, stirring, until fragrant, a matter of seconds, then add the greens. Stir-fry those for a couple of minutes, then stir in equal amounts of oyster sauce and rice wine, if you have.
- Transfer the greens to a platter, then boil the pan juices until thickened just a bit and drizzle over the hot greens. Yum.
Vil du lave flere lækre opskrifter derhjemme?
Alle vores opskrifter er skabt med inspiration fra vores Eat Grim-kasser. Hvis du er interesseret i at starte dit eget abonnement, og få frugt & grønt leveret lige til døren, så udforsk vores forskellige kasser nedenfor.