- 1 layer of ready-made short-crust pastry
For the filling:
- 4 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 250 gr mozzarella (drained and shredded)
- 2 tbs taggiasche olives (or good quality black olives), chopped
- 1 tbs capers
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- salt – pepper –extra virgin olive oil
- 1 thyme sprig
How to make it
- In a medium-sized sauté-pan, put 4 tbs of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, 2 dl of water, some thyme. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top. Let the ingredients sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring often until the ingredients start to soften. Pour the sugar on
- the onions, and keep stirring. Cover with a lid and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized. This takes around 10 min.
- Stop cooking when the onions are brown and let them cool. Add the olives and thyme, mixing well.
- Preheat the oven at 220°C. Grease the pie dishes with extra virgin olive oil and line dough in. Pass a rolling pin on top of each pie dish to remove the short-crust pastry that spills over. Using a fork, make some small holes into the dough, so it doesn’t bubble while cooking. Distribute a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella and pour the filling into each pie-dish. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 10-12 min, until the dough is brown. Let the pies cool and decorate with a bit of fresh mozzarella and few capers.
Recipe by Mad&Delicacy