With coleslaw and potato wedges
Meat-free burger alternative, using celeriac as a tasty burger patty! Slow-cooking the celeriac makes it incredibly soft and juicy. We never went back!
For the burgers, you'll need
- Burger buns
- Celeriac — one celeriac can be turned into 3–5 burger ‘’patties’’
- A couple potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Fresh thyme
BBQ sauce (for 2–4 burgers):
- 50 g ketchup
- 50 g concentrated tomato purée
- 25 g brown sugar
- 10 g apple-cider vinegar
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of smoked or regular chili
Coleslaw (2–4 burgers):
- 75 g turnip or carrots
- 150 g of white or red cabbage (can be mixed)
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp mayo
How to make your burger
- Wash and peel the celeriac. The celeriac works as the patty in this burger, so cut a few slices 2–4 cm thick. Leave the slices on a plate and rub both sides with salt. Leave it for 30–60 minutes or long, which helps removing some water from the celeriac and breaks down its hard structure.
- In the meantime, heat up the oven on 180 degrees Celsius. Wash and quarter your potatoes and bake in the oven with some oil, thyme, salt and pepper for ca. 20 minutes until done.
- After 30–60 minutes, wash the celeriac to remove the salt. Heat up a pan with ½ dl of oil, add 3 cloves of garlic and 1 stick of fresh thyme. Fry the celeriac ‘’patties’’ on low — medium heat — we want the celeriac to have a nice golden and caramelised surface.
- Mix together the ingredients for the BBQ sauce and cover the patties.
- For the coleslaw, start by peeling and grating the turnip or carrots and the apple. Mix with finely chopped strips cabbage and add the other ingredients used for the slaw.
- Stuff burger buns with a BBQ patty, coleslaw, freshly sliced apples and any other of your favourite burger stuffings! Also nice are pickled or fresh red onions, pickled cucumbers, avocado or mustard. Serve with potatoes and enjoy!
- How does your burger look like? Tag #eatgrim or @eatgrim on Instagram and share your creations with us :*
Recipe by Oliver Blomqvist