This rustic and tasty pie with chicory, anchovy in oil and olives is a classic in Italy. Italians love to snack these kind of pies in between everything - serve a cold beer with it and off you go!
- 2 layers of ready-made round puff pastry dough
- 1 medium chicory head
- 4 anchovy filets in oil, cut in small pieces
- 1 handful of black Greek or Gaeta olives without stones
- 2 garlic cloves, crashed
- salt and olive oil
- 1 egg yolk, to brush the surface
- Salt & pepper to taste
Here's how to make the pie
- Wash the chicory leaves, trim away the hard part and cut the long ones in half.
- Warm a medium-large frying pan on medium heat. Then add olive oil and the garlic cloves. Stir fry for a few minutes and then add the chicory. Regularly turn the leaves until dry, then cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the garlic and let cool.
- Butter a pie dish (round, 22cm in diameter) and lay it out with one dough layer. Using a fork, make some small holes into the dough to prevent bubbling while cooking.
- Place the chicory on the dough, then spread the olives and the anchovies. Cover with the second layer of pastry dough, and trim the edges away. Press the bottom and top layers together sealing very well.
- Brush the surface with slightly-whisked egg yolk, then bake in the oven at 200°C for 30-35 minutes. Let cool and then enjoy!
Remember to tag your own creations with #eatgrim and #cookinggrim on Instagram and follow us @eatgrim.RECIPE BY MAD & DELICACY