If you're into natural wine, you know that the country of Georgia is a culinary paradise. The famous dish Khinkali - filled dumplings - is incredibly delicious and easy to make, so we are stoked we have a recipe for you! You can also use mushrooms for the filling.
MAIN / 20 PCS. / 60 MIN / MEDIUM
For the dough
- 500 g flour
- 250 ml. water
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 400 gram potatoes and/or mushrooms
- A handful ramson leaves
- Salt n pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp butter
For the butter sauce
- 1 large onion
- 120 g butter
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to be mashed (I removed the skin because it was a bit wrinkly, but you don't have to). If you want to add mushrooms, chop them finely and let them soften in a pan with a bit of butter.
- While the potatoes are boiling, mix the ingredients for the dough. Start by mixing water and salt. And then add the salty water in a bowl with flour. Mix it until at has the right consistency to knead. Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes in your own cozy pace. The dough has to be smooth and elastic.
- Let the dough rest while you prepare the sauce and filling. Melt the butter and add on chopped onion. Let it cook over low heat until the butter and onion has a nut brown colour (20 minutes -ish). Give it a stir every 5 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with butter and salt, pepper, spices and chopped ramson. Add the mushrooms if you have them.
- Roll the dough out (1/2 cm thick) use a glass to poke circles out (5,5 cm in diameter-ish). Roll the circles out further before filling them with the potato mixture. Place a small spoonful filling into the center. Take the dough edge and start pleating the dough. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the Khinkali for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the onion-butter, ground black pepper and a bit of herbs (I used cilantro but fresh ramson would be obvious). Boom your dish is done!
Remember to tag your own creations with #eatgrim and #cookinggrim on Instagram and follow us @eatgrim.RECIPE BY EAT REAL BE REAL