Juicy, fresh and easy
This cake is super moist and fresh to lighten up the rest of the Winter days. It’s not too sweet so you can either have it for dessert or basically at all times, every day. And it’s super healthy ’cause it has vegetables! Am I right or am I right? (Just let me have this one…)
For this recipe, I used a teacup as a measurement of approximately 250ml, so every time you see “cup” it will mean “teacup”.
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini drained and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
For the glaze you need
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tbsp lemon juice
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease the loaf pan with a bit of butter or oil and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs and milk and whisk together.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated. Don’t mix too much as it might make your cake very dense and chewy.
- Fold in zucchini and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. The top of the cake should look dry.
- Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to carefully lift the cake from the pan. Let cool completely on rack.
Don’t skip the glaze! Make sure to remember this amazing glaze on top of the cake as it makes it extra fresh and delicious!
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Slice and serve.
Small notes to make this easier
- To dry the zucchini, use a cheesecloth and squeeze out the moisture or tap it with kitchen paper until dry. Alternatively, you can sprinkle it with a bit of salt and let it sit for 15–30 minutes. After that, it’s much easier to dry out.
- Make sure to use organic lemons as it makes a huge difference in the taste of the cake