Simple recipe — ready in 1 hr — starter or main course
Oh, winter times. Do the endless supplies of cabbage and kale already start to bore you? Then this simple recipe for a lemony white cabbage soup might just be what you need to bring some far-fetched summer vibes into your dark & heated flat… so try it out!
Ingredients for 2 portions
One half head of white cabbage
8–10 single brussels sprouts
ca. 0,5 liter of vegetable stock OR chicken stock (buy in store)
3 bay leaves
3 bay leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
A few stems of fresh dill
Zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
And here’s how it goes:
- From the brussels sprouts, remove outer leaves, which show black marks. Peel single leaves off of each sprout and add to a bowl (PS: This is an annoying task because the leaves come off so hardly. Power through, or simply chop the sprouts as you like!)
- From the cabbage, remove bad outer leaves. Then roughly chop into ca. 2 cm thick chunks & wash them. Make the stock.
- Place cabbage in a medium-sized pot. Add stock until cabbage is covered. Add bay leaves & some pepper and bring to a boil.
- When broth starts to boil, lower heat. Let simmer for ca. 40 minutes. Remove from heat when cabbage is completely tender.
- While the cabbage is simmering, wash dill and roughly remove leaves from stems. Add dill to the bowl of brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and mix as a salad.
- Remove bay leaves from the cabbage pot. Then, with a sieve, drain the cabbage from the stock and add to a blender, without throwing the liquid out. Finally, add as much liquid so cabbage is halfway covered.
- Add lemon juice, zest, salt & pepper and a few tablespoons of whipping cream to the blender and blend well until a smooth consistency is reached. If the soup is too thick, add more of the liquid. Tip: Go easy on the liquid to not make it too watery. Same goes for the lemon juice to not make it too sour, and the cream for not making it too creamy. Your taste will tell you when to stop :)
- After blending, the soup might be a bit cold. If that is the case, add soup to a pot and slowly heat up. When ready, place soup in a bowl and top with brussels sprouts & dill salad. Sprinkle with olive oil & freshly ground pepper.