Get your Spanish vibes going and make som tapas for your tapas. This recipe can be part of a bigger party-kit, or you can munch it as is. Patatas Bravas is Spanish and translates to “spicy potatoes”. It is potatoes covered with a delicious spicy tomato sauce, and in this recipe it gets a little extra love from the herb mayo on top.
This recipe is for 4 people as a side dish.
- 1 kg potatoes
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 3 dl neutral oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsps. mustard
- 1 handful of herbs like rosemary, basil, thyme or so
- 1 cloves of garlic
How to cook it:
1. Heat herbs and neutral oil slowly in a small saucepan to 80 degrees C. Put it in the fridge and let it cool completely.
2. Wash potatoes and cut them into your preferred sized cubes, do you like them big or small?
3. Boil those perfectly cut potato cubes for five minutes or heat for a few minutes in the microwave on full power.
4. Add a couple of tablespoons of good quality olive oil to a frying pan and start roasting the potatoes on medium heat.
5. While the potatoes are slowly browning, start cutting the onions and the garlic for the chunky spicy tomato sauce. Start frying onions and garlic for a few minutes in another pan together with cayenne.
6. When the onions and garlic are transparent, add the canned tomatoes and reduce the heat to a simmer, season as you like it.
7. For the mayo, mix together egg yolk, mustard, lemon and salt/pepper.
8. Strain the herb oil and whisk it in very slowly into the mixture. A mayonnaise is very simple to make, if you are patient. Make sure the ingredients are about the same temperature and make sure to whisk the oil into the eggs very slowly.
When the mayo is thick you can put it in the fridge until serving. It will last a couple of days in the fridge if covered.
9. When the potatoes are nice and brown, the mayo is whipped and the tomato sauce is reduced to your liking, you are ready to enjoy your delicious Patatas Bravas. Salute!