A Danish classic, full of nostalgia and with simple flavours that highlights each individual ingredient.
The open-faced potato sandwich (Kartoffel smørrebrød) is a staple of Danish cooking, along with the many other variations of smørrebrød. There's many different ways to make potato smørrebrød, so how you like yours to be served all comes down to personal preference and taste. Try to get fresh ryebread if possible - or bake your own - if you really want to bring this dish to the next level.
- Pickled cucumber
How to make it
- Boil your potatoes in lightly salted water untill they are soft and delicious.
- Mix a mayo together with finely chopped pickled cucumbers.
- Cut onions into rings and add to a plastic bag together with a few spoons of flour. Shake well. Fry the onions in oil on a pan. Set aside.
- The vinter portulak can be sauteed on a hot pan together with some garlic or can be used fresh.
- Find a fresh slice of ryebread, add potatoes, cucumber mayo, onions rings and top with vinterportulak, salt and pepper.
Recipe by Oliver Blomqvist