Use as a topping for literally anything
Become a full-fledged foodie with our quick pickled onions recipe. Impressive you say? So do we.
- 3 small red onions, sliced into rings
- 300ml vinegar (e.g. apple, cider)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- or other spices you wanna use, e.g. coriander seeds, star anise
How to make it
- Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the sugar, sea salt, the spices and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. After 1 min, check that the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Thinly slice onions into rings, using a mandoline. Pack them into a sterilised jar (see how to sterilise your jars here). Pour over the warm vinegar and seal the jar. Cool, then chill and leave to pickle for 2 hrs. Will keep for 6 months unopened, or 2 weeks in the fridge once opened.