WITH RAISINS, ALMONDS, AND JUICY ORANGES
Christmas without Gløgg is almost unimaginable in Denmark. During Christmas time you can find the hot drink at every corner, but as always - it's best if it's selfmade. This recipe with our juicy oranges and lemons make the gløgg so fruity!
- 2 bottles red wine
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar (depends on how sweet you like it :))
- 4 oranges (4 tablespoons orange zest)
- 2 lemons, 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 16 cloves
- 3 - 4 cinnamon sticks
- Optional: 1 1/2 cup of rum (or vodka)
- Garnish: orange slices (2 oranges)
How to make it
- Zest the peel of the oranges and lemons and save the fruits for later.
- Cut the ginger in small pieces.
- Put the wine, optional rum or vodka, sugar, orange peel, lemon peel, ginger slices, cinnamon stick and cloves in a pot. Heat to 175 F (77 C) and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Remove the spices with a sieve.
- Squeeze out the rubbed off oranges and lemons, and add the juice.
- Cut the other oranges into slices.
- Reheat the gløgg, serve it with a few raisins, almonds and orange slices. :)
Recipe by GRIM