With Mozzarella and Onion Jam
We are in a strong Italian mood this week and can you tell me what is better to celebrate the love for Italy than with a pizza?? Ok, maybe pasta, and a million other things, but we gotta start somewhere!
Here’s the first of our Italian-vibe collection of recipes. We taught you how to make the dough, now the toppings are up to you, but with this zucchini pizza you can never go wrong ❤
Ingredients for the zucchini pizza
- Onion jam
Ingredients for the zucchini strips
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
Prep the zucchini strips
- Wash the zucchini and using a potato peeler thinly slice it into a big bowl.
- Rub the salt into the zucchini strips and let the salt draw out their moisture for at least 20 minutes.
- Strain away the water in a colander and wash the zucchini in cold water. Drain away all remaining water and put the zucchini back in the bowl and drizzle with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
Here’s what you need for the onion jam:
- 3 yellow onions
- 100 ml heavy cream
- Black truffle paste (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Prep the onion jam
- Slice all of your onions in thin strips. Add them to a saucepan on medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil and start sweating the onions. Fry the onions for about 20 minutes or until dark and caramelised.
- Add salt, pepper and 100 ml of heavy cream and blend the onions into a chunky jam.
- To boost the flavor, add a teaspoon of black truffle paste. Available in most big supermarkets
How to make it
- Open your pizza dough to your desired size.
- Spread out the onion jam in a nice and thick layer.
- Place the zucchini strips around the entire pizza.
- Take a ball of mozzarella and tear it into small pieces on the pizza.
- Finish by drizzling around two teaspoons of olive oil on the pizza.
- Bake the pizza as the main recipe describes.
- When the pizza is fresh out the oven, drizzle it with a dash of good balsamic vinegar.
Recipe by our chef Anders Vestergaard