Sweet potatoes with caramelised onions
LUNCH / 1 H / 4 PAX / EASY
500 g peeled, diced sweet potatoes
ca. 500 ml hot water, or veggie broth
1 small onion, cubed
4 tbsp EVO oil
salt pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR CARAMELISED ONIONS
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 glass Cointreau Liquor
1 tsp cane sugar
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium-size pot, brown the onion with the oil for a few minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, mixing constantly. Pour the broth or hot water in. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, mix everything evenly until it becomes creamy. If it is too thick add a bit of warm water or broth and combine well. If the consistency is too liquid let it thicken on the heat for a few minutes. Keep stirring.
- Clean the onions removing the ends, and the hardest outer layers. Divide them in half, then thinly slice them.
- To prepare the caramelised onions, place a frying pan on a medium heat. Pour 2 tbsp of EVO oil in, and then add the onions. With a wooden spoon stir to coat them well with the oil.
- Lower the heat, cover with a lid and let cook for about 10 min. Add salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and a bit of water if the onions get dry. Let cook for about 20 min stirring every now and then. Let them brown but not burn. Increase the heat. Add 1/4 glass of Cointreau Liquor and let evaporate. Add a bit of water to deglaze the pan.
- Divide the cream in 4 small bowls, drizzle with oil, add some onions and serve warm.
Recipe by Mad & Delicacy.
Want to make delicious recipes like this at home?
All of our recipes are created with inspiration from our Eat Grim-boxes. If you are interested in starting your own subscription, and getting fruit & veg delivered straight to your door, then see our different boxes below.